Check out the latest in plumbing trends, tips & tricks, and coupons from your favorite local San Antonio plumbers. Pronto Rooter, the experts in Drain & Plumbing.
DIY or an Experienced Professional?
by: Allie Perez
This one’s easy. Let’s set the stage:
- You’re at your home or office, relaxing or working, and you experience a plumbing issue.
- Research the problem (investigate the issue online or you drive to your local hardware store for advice from the salesperson who is not required to have any licensing or certifications.
- Purchase the parts and tools (tools are expensive) at retail price and account for at least one return trip because you:
- A. Need more parts or an additional tool
- B. You got the wrong stuff
- Return to the issue and attempt to fix it while using your phone or “a dummy’s guide” spending an inestimable amount of time solving the issue.
There are only one of two outcomes possible:
- Fixed – great! No warranty on labor
- Still broken: repeat above steps and pay for someone else to come fix it
Hire an experienced, licensed and insured professional.
- Research and call a professional who has acquired at least four years of skilled trade on the job training and is licensed and certified through the state and state board.
- Spend a minimal amount of time in consultation about the issue. They explain what needs to be done and for what price. You agree to pay it. They fix it. It’s done. If there are any issues, doubtful (remember the training), it typically falls under warranty.
The choice is yours. Some people enjoy the satisfaction of knowing they were able to repair their home themselves. Personally, I leave it to the professionals.
Franchise vs. Family Operated
by: Allie Perez
It’s not difficult to tell the difference between a franchise and a local business. How do you tell the difference between a franchise contractor and a local contractor? Let’s lay the foundation. A franchise is national or regional (think McDonald’s) operated mega-business. Their Corporate offices, typically in a large city far away fueled by shareholders and investors who are far removed from daily operations. A local plumbing contractor has local phone number and is operated locally by small business owners and/or families.
We’ve found at least three reasons to support your local plumbing contractor, especially in San Antonio.
- Local: Local contractors provide a personal touch. You share a city and experiences. They are the plumbing experts in their community. And, most local plumbing contractors support their community by providing sponsorships in their communities. Franchises Big box chain stores subcontract the majority of the services they sell with their products, cleverly releasing them from any liability for the workmanship.
- Logistics: Local plumbers must remain competitively priced to remain relevant in their market.They often provide value added extras like warranties and service plans.
- Leg work: Do the math, make an apples to apples compression and see which offers better value.
Feel free to contact us at (210)xxx-xxxx for a complimentary second opinion. We are happy to review another company’s invoice and provide the best price with the best service in your area.